This is my birthday weekend (tomorrow I’m turning 39), and I had so many wonderful things happen this weekend…and I’m so grateful to have been sober to enjoy all of them.
- Mother and Son Day of Fun with my son at his school yesterday. Basketball, Mom v. Son Dodgeball, Lego Bingo, and crafts. He said to me “Mom, I had such a nice day today.” Not something my 6-going-on-16-year-old usually admits.
- Received a beautiful birthday card from my dad and stepmother. Had a nice phone conversation with my dad to thank him.
- Dinner at my best friend’s house last night with my hubby, my son, and her family. She made me a special dinner, homemade birthday cake, iced tea, and gave me a beautiful bracelet to commemorate our friendship. She and my hubby each had a few beers, but I was totally OK with not drinking.
- Early Mass this morning, to honor my friend’s son who was stillborn 17 years ago. I served communion and was present to support her at this difficult time.
- Got a 3 mile run in outside today:)
- My hubby’s daughter and grandson spent the day with us today, and his other daughter and her girlfriend came over later, and we all had a nice dinner together.
- My sweet cousin (and our son’s godmother) came over to visit, as her birthday was last week and we usually celebrate together. I had a bottle of chardonnay from three weeks ago, unopened, in my fridge. I offered to pour her a glass of wine, and she split the bottle with my husband. I was SO happy to not have been tempted AT ALL.
It was a very full weekend, but very fulfilling. How would I have done it all, with grace, if I was hung over?
Sober – so much better.